(Those are dino nuggets coming out of the bag if you were wondering...I'm hungry now RAWRRR.)

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Blank Canvas

Like every recent college graduate, we all at some point think of the large and daunting world we are now entering into. Whether we are fearful, excited, indifferent, or any other emotion you can think of, there's no turning back (even if you wish you could...too bad, the world won't wait for you). Even with our entrance into true adulthood and independency, we all have our doubts, but while sitting at my graduation ceremony (for a very long time might I add), our student speaker used a great clip from Calvin and Hobbes to describe the optimistic possibilities present within our grasp. Here's the clip:


Hopefully you can read it, but if not, here's a quick summary: It snowed. Everything that was is no longer and the snow has painted a new landscape for adventure and the pals set off for an adventure. But as the clip depicts, we approach a world ripe for the taking, a blank canvas where we can paint our own legacy. Up until now, we've been preparing for this very moment, the opportunity to begin writing our own history upon the world, independent and unique from every other person. So, close your eyes (don't really...you still have to keep reading!) and try to picture yourself as an explorer (I'm currently wearing a nice, fluffy pirate's hat), just like Calvin. Without setting sail, or sledding down the hill, we can never know what there is to discover.

So the world is out there, fresh for us recent grads to take. Even if you have already been out in the world, that canvas is never-ending, you can paint to your heart's content like a kid using a crayon all over the wall (only now you don't have parents to yell at you!). As I head off to medical school, I don't know what to expect (and yes, I'm a little scared...yeah, just a little...), but I know I'm starting to paint my own story and with it, my own lasting legacy. I leave you with this one phrase..."LET'S GO EXPLORING!"

No comments:

Post a Comment